REVIEW: Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

August 20, 2013

Meet Celaena Sardothien. Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness. In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught. Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?

*Thank you Bloomsbury for providing me a review copy of this novel. This hasn't affected my opinion of the novel or my review.*





Thrown of Glass has quite a hype surrounding it that if I can admit was quite intimidating. But it ended up being one I honestly enjoyed. It had action, a kick ass heroine that actually delivered what she preached, swoony love interests and a surprising amount of fantasy.

One thing that before reading Thrown of Glass had picked up my attention was that everyone had loved the strong protagonist also known as Adarlan's Assasin. Celaena was fiesty, flirty, brave and very admirable. She had the right balance of compassion and strength which I think was very important for her to have. Celaena's mind was both fascinating and different. It was intriguing how she cleverly plotted ways of self defense and was always keeping watch. I hadn't really experienced that whole assassin thing before so I found Celanea's character to be really interesting. But I really want to explore more of her backstory and basically, how she came to be. A relationship I really enjoyed watching grow was Celaena's and Nehemia.

I quite liked the concept of a place were magic once was but had disappeared. I was actually really surprised by the direction it began to take fantasy wise. But without spoiling to much, there is a great evil in the castle. Fortunately rather then being overly complicated, it was hooking and interesting. Perhaps one of my favourite story lines of the plot.

As I've mentioned, in Throne of Glass we have the fantasy aspect and of course the King's Champion tournament but we also have a subtle love triangle forming. In my opinion Captain Chaol Westfall and Prince Dorian Havilliard are both worthy of Celaena's heart. I don't really have anything against Dorian, but I somehow preferred Chaol. I could see that one character in particular was being favoured so I'm interested to see how Maas explores the other relationship in Crown of Midnight.

I found the beginning to be a bit slow paced and I initially struggled to get into it. Which was essentially the only reason a full star was decreased. But other then that I didn't have many issues with it and I found that it definitely picked up around a 100 pages.

I was pleased with the ending and overall thoroughly enjoyed the book. I in some ways felt something was missing but it's still a novel I'd recommend with good words, I wasn't disappointed. It's a great fantasy and great action and I am so excited to read Crown of Midnight which I fortunately didn't have to wait for, due the lovely people at Bloomsbury who sent me a copy.



post signature

11 comments

  1. I have a feeling this book is one I would just love to pieces. It sounds like the perfect read for me. I love heroines like Celaena (I've read a few books with assassins in it, and I've really liked them), and really good romance and fantasy.

    One day, I will read this. I am determined to do so. It sounds amazing, and from what you've said in this review and what I've heard from others, I will probably find it to be amazing.

    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review dude! I don't know why but this review was really sophisticated. I really want to read this book! I'm not sure whether to request it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fantastic book, there's been so much hype about it and I really want to read it! I love the fantasy aspect of it :) Celaena sounds like an amazing character.

    Thanks for your review. I'm a new blog follower via Bloglovin! Yay to aussie book bloggers!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! As I said in mine, I totally get why people love it, and I found it fun to read, I just didn't think it was amazing :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't kick-butt heroines awesome? I love Celeana and Throne of Glass in general, it's just aaaammmazzinngg. I'm currently reading Crown of Midnight so I can't wait to dive into the world again. A TEENAGE ASSASSIN... gah! :D

    Fabulous interview, as always <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read the novellas??? Yaaaaaay for Chaol! I don't know what it is but there's something about Dorian I don't trust and I haven't the foggiest why :S
    Brilliant review and I'm glad that you stuck through the beginning :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this one too esp when it started to pick up. The fantasy and premise is great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review Sunny! I wasn't very pleased with Celaena's character, sometimes she simply annoyed me. But I'm still looking forward to the next book for the fantasy aspect of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looved this book. But then it is my kind of book, most definitely! I don't have a favourite in the love triangle, but we both know Maas does, so I too am interested to see how this goes down. I'm going to be sad for the other person either way, I like them both!!
    Fantastic review, as always Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this and didn't review it, but I think my best friend is going to guest review it! Your review is great, if I hadn't read it I would want to from reading this, haha! :D

    Charli x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adored Throne of Glass and it's sequel Crown of Midnight. By far, my favourite fantasy novels, I just love the whole concept and characters. You describe Celaena perfectly in your first paragraph and I also found the whole assassin-theme so interesting! I'd never read about a person quite like her.

    And I love Dorian and Chaol! Be warned, Crown of Midnight is an emotions-all-over-the-floor type of book!

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete

Thank for stopping by my small corner of the web, I hope you enjoyed your time here. Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them. Sending you a thousand lovely days x

© A Sunny Spot. Design by FCD. Header using graphics from Freepik.