REVIEW: The One by Kiera Cass

May 10, 2014

Edition: Harper Collins Australia Paperback
Release Date: May 7 2014
Pages: 323
Series: The Selection #3
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Source: Received as an ARC from Harper Collins Australia (Thank you)
Links: Goodreads | Author's Website | Buy the book
The Selection changed the lives of thirty-five girls forever. And now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen. America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

 From the very first page of The Selection, this #1 New York Times bestselling series has captured readers' hearts and swept them away on a captivating journey...

Now, in The One, Kiera Cass delivers a satisfying and unforgettable conclusion that will keep readers sighing over this electrifying fairy-tale long after the final page is turned.


The One was easily one of my most anticipated 2014 releases. I adore this series and I was so excited but also nervous, to see how it would conclude. Francoise and I have had many theories, hopes and speculations about what would unravel in The One (were we right? I can't say) so to finally have answers was so good. But it's bitter sweet because it's sad to say goodbye to a series which has sparked many discussions and stirred a lot of emotions.

Don't get me wrong I loved The Elite, but in many ways where The Elite lacked, The One delivered. I wanted more rebel attacks, less love triangle and a less frustrating America. I'm relieved to say I got it. The One was not a disappointment, it wrapped things up really nicely. It had some great sweet moments but also drama that wasn't always revolved around the love triangle or what guy she was going to choose. It was about America finding herself and standing up for what she believes in, whilst being a part of The Selection. Then there was the whole rebel attacks, caste and King Clarkson issue.

Thankfully instead of only focusing on the relationships between Aspen, Maxon and herself, Kiera Cass wrote about the other relationships in the book as well. Characters redeemed themselves, some were introduced and others became a bigger part of the plot. I particularly liked seeing America get to know her fellow Elites and the Queen on a better level. America is a character you can't help but love but also want to slap common sense into. She has so many admirable qualities yet she can be SO frustrating. There were some moments were I was like, c'mon Mer, but she mostly held it together a lot better than I thought. I loved seeing a driven, determined and more passionate side of America. The character development was great!

I wanted to see the rebel attacks happen on a bigger scale. Is it wrong that I wanted to see blood? Or at least anything other than hiding in a room. More attacks happened in the palaces and it was suspenseful and entertaining at once. There was an actual difference between the Northern and Southern rebels and it was recognised, much to my relief as prior to The One I failed to see the difference. The attacks aside from one, were less anti-climatic and some serious stuff happened.

The One had such good moments and interesting complications. There were moments I gripped my chest in anticipation, prayed for characters, silently shook my head in disapproval and then stood up in pride. I won't say if I'm happy or disappointed with who she chose because I feel like that ultimately gives away who was endgame. I've purposely not mentioned either boys for that reason. But saying that, regarding one of my previous posts, Aspen wasn't such an issue for me anymore. The One was an awesome conclusion that just like the other two, will have fans talking.

PS. Have you guys heard about the new novella? It's called The Queen and it's in Queen Amberly's perspective during her time in The Selection. Exciting! Also go and check out Francoise's 1 year Blogoversary post, there's even a awesome giveaway for Aussie's. Happy Blogoversary Diva F!



post signature

5 comments

  1. We need to have a chat so we can discuss this! I totally agree with the rebel attacks. They were better than the ones in The Elite but it needed to be more intense and not so quick. And yes...for some reason I wanted to see more blood. It's kinda weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you have Francoise have timed your reviews nicely! I haven't read this series yet but it looks like both of you really enjoyed it, so I look forward to starting it. Great review Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I agree with everything you said. I hope you'll check out my review too :D

    Miss Perfection @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am exciiittteedd! I'm about two thirds of the way through and now you've gotten me super excited to finish it off. I'm a bit bummed that there's no real war but I'm sure I'll get over it. I need to catch up on all the novellas and then I can read The Queen! Can't wait. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for a series you love ending well! I never gave these books a go due to all the author-related drama, but now that they're all published, I might change my mind ;)

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete

Thank for stopping by my small corner of the web, I hope you enjoyed your time here. Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them. Sending you a thousand lovely days x

© A Sunny Spot. Design by FCD. Header using graphics from Freepik.