FILM REVIEW: The Fault In Our Stars

June 6, 2014

Book Synopsis: Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. 

FILM RATING: PG-13 (mild language, brief sexuality) CAST: Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, Laura Dern, Willem Dafoe LENGTH: 2:05


Wednesday 21st of May I attended a pre-screening of my most anticipated film of the year, The Fault In Our Stars, and I am yet to form a coherent thought on the whole thing. Or should I more accurately say, my thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations. See the thing is TFIOS isn't just another book I've read, it is the book. It is the book that tops other books. It's the book I'll read constantly and lovingly. It's the book I'll recommend daily but also the one I hide from the world. It is the book that made me feel something so strongly and quickly, that it became my favourite book ever. So was I really hoping the film worked out? Yes. Did they deliver? Yes.

Ok, let me confess that when I originally heard about the casting of Ansel Elgort as our beloved Gus, I wasn't thrilled. I had no proof of his acting skills and he didn't quite fit the image I had in mind for my ideal Gus. I sort of imagined him more like this... (bottom photo). But needless to say, as I watched him in Divergent and stalked him on various social media sites, I became a fan. As soon as I saw him in the TFIOS trailer lighting that cigarette up and explaining that metaphor, I knew I was about to be proved wrong. Boy was I! Ansel perfectly embodied Gus, through and through. He portrayed that cheeky, charming and insightful teen we all came to love, so well. Ansel, I apologize for ever doubting that you would deliver an amazing performance. I'm a fan.
Model, Joshua Brand and Actor, Aaron Taylor Johnson
Shailene Woodly was also I'm pleased to say, the perfect Hazel just as I suspected. She looked the part and played the part. I don't know what else to because she was just simply Hazel Grace and never once Shailene or Tris. Her acting was pretty much flawless, I really believed and sympathized with her. Shai is just pure awesome, her acting was emotional and raw. Really the casting was perfect and it is quite rare that you get to say that.

The chemistry between Ansel and Shailene was perfect. I noticed that Hazel and Gus had a more fast paced relationship than in the book but aside from that, their relationship was true to the book. All the Hus or Hagustus feel were right there constantly making my fangirl heart beat rapidly. It was a perfect fit that made me have a fit, because c'mon Hazel and Gus: ultimate OTP (translation: one true pairing). Yes the answer you've all been waiting for; never did I once think of them as brother and sister, Tris and Caleb Prior. I guarantee you, not once.

The director and cast did such a good job. I loved that all the quotes and long dialogue were included in the film because it wouldn't have been the same without them. I really enjoyed their Amsterdam visit, I don't know if it was actually filmed there but wherever they were, it looked beautiful. Peter Van Houten was different than I imagined and I'm not so sure I liked the casting choice. But I did like that Swedish hip hop.
Aww look at them fangirling over an Imperial Affliction <3
My only complaint was that surprisingly some things weren't included, they were mostly minor things but if you love something as much as I love TFiOS every little detail counts. Mostly everything was there but some things were missed out on. Which was quite surprising, yes I'm picky. Also I wanted more Isaac, much more! I wanted to see the initial friendship between Hazel and Isaac and also the V for Vendetta references. Despite this though, the film is one of the most faithful book adaptations I've ever seen! So faithful and honestly, fans of the book have nothing to worry about other than the ending.

On that hand, THE FREAKING ENDING! When I read the book's ending my eyes watered and I was totally shattered. But I don't know if you can call that crying. Yes I know that's not human but to be honest with you I hardly cry, I just can't seem to unless something really gets to me. But even though I'd read the book twice and totally (well at least I thought so) prepared myself for the pain that comes in hand with the ending, I BAWLED MY BLOODY EYES OUT (I don't consider bloody or freaking cursing, but if anyone does and takes offence, I apologise). Not only did I cry, but my lovely guest for the night (HI ISSY) and myself used all of our tissues and more. I embarrassingly enough totally lost it, I cried more than I have in a long time. But fortunately I wasn't the only one doing so, the whole cinema was sniffling. Tissues are definitely needed for any screening of this film, NO ONE IS SAFE!

Other than that horribly depressing ending (don't let that stop you from reading the book or seeing the film, it's not a good enough excuse), TFiOS is funny, sweet, witty and emotional just like the book. THE BEST BOOK AND FILM EVER! I can't wait to see the film again and again (not looking forward to the crying part) and to own the dvd which I will also watch constantly. Not only was it a great movie, one I don't doubt will be a massive success in the slightest, but it just furthered my love for the wonderful book that started it all. Thank you Mr John Green!

PS. Thank you Penguin Teen for the pre-screening invite :)

9 comments

  1. OMGOMGOMG YOU ARE MAKING ME SO EXCITED AND I'M SO SAD THAT I HAVEN'T WATCHED THIS. I'M TEMPTED TO GO WATCH THIS ON MONDAY WITH MY FRIENDS BUT LIKE I'M GONNA BE A MESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the feels! I have to level with you, for me Hazel's parents made the film extraordinary. They shifted my perspective and let me see something else I never quite saw in the book -- just how much they love her. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agreed with everything you said. I cried so hard during that movie but it was PERFECT.

    Check out my review?
    http://enchantedbyabook.blogspot.com/2014/06/movie-review-fault-in-our-stars-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Sunny, I watched the movie today at the PTA Marathon event and omg it was so emotional! my heart is absolutely shattered and I was crying too. The movie was soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried a lot during the book so I'm a bit worried about seeing the movie! But, I am glad they did a good job with the adaptation :)

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart just broke all over again watching this movie. We have to discuss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw so lucky you already got to see it! I'm going on the 12th to a fan preview (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, everyone says this movie is good. Perhaps I'll see it. Maybe after I read the book. Great movie review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for stopping by my small corner of the web, I hope you enjoyed your time here. Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them. Sending you a thousand lovely days x

© A Sunny Spot. Design by FCD. Header using graphics from Freepik.